My good friend Brianna is turning 30 this year. In order to celebrate, we’re planning a vacation in Lake Tahoe. Jamie and I (okay, mostly Jamie while I sat there nodding my head like an ever-agreeable doofus) made out a list of things we could do during our vacation. I think it’s going to be a tough competition to narrow it down.
That got me to thinking about how much totally awesome stuff there is to do when the weather is hot and the lake is cool.
6 things to do this summer in Reno/Tahoe
1. Swim in Lake Tahoe. This might seem like a “duh” sort of thing, and maybe not too exciting for some people. But I love swimming in Tahoe. The water is clear, the sun warms my body, and sometimes when I’m floating out there away from the shore I finally feel this strange sensation of peace.
2. Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival. You don’t have to be an English geek like us to enjoy watching the a splendid performance with beautiful Tahoe in the background. This year’s play is The Two Gentlemen of Verona, which I’ve never seen performed. I’m pretty sure this will be at the top of our list!
3. Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off. I’m not a big fan of ribs, but that doesn’t stop me from checking out all the booths, trinkets for sale, and chowing down on an ear of BIG CORN. This cook-off is a pretty big deal. I know people who go pretty much every day and try ribs from as many different booths as possible!
4. First Fridays at the Grand Sierra Resort. Defined as a “festival of sights, sounds, tastes and experiences” the Grand Sierra Resort’s property-wide party is typically the first Friday of every month. This summer? They’re going to throw it once a week! Live entertainment, great food, and a fun theme each Friday, this is a party not to miss. I love going when the Spazmatics are playing because they are ALLCAPSAWESOME.
5. Hiking. There are all sorts of beautiful sights to be seen in the Lake Tahoe Basin. And the best way to see them, is on foot! I’m looking forward to us hiking because it’s so much more fun when you don’t have the kiddo whining for a rest every five minutes (AHEM*MY SON*AHEM).
6. Rafting at the Truckee River. Okay, so I haven’t actually gotten to do this yet. This is the summer it’s going to happen. What better way to spend a hot day than floating down the cool Truckee River? I’m getting all relaxed just thinking about it.
What are some of your favorite activities where you live?
Photo courtesy of Michael Arrighi. This photo has a Flickr Creative Commons attribution license.