Disclaimer: I do not enjoy cooking. If it were up to me, we’d eat corndogs and tater tots every night. But it happens sometimes, like this past weekend. I decided to share my efforts. To prove that it does happen. Every once in a while. So, what do you think?
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb egg tagliatelle, fettuccine or pappardelle pasta (I used fettuccine because WalMart isn’t cool enough for anything else)
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved (I think they should be quartered, because I don’t like huge chunks of tomatoes in my food)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill (or the stuff in a jar works)
- 4 cups loosely packed baby arugula leaves (also not featured at WalMart, but I made a special trip to Raley’s for this)
- 3/4 cup fresh ricotta cheese (not sure why they give you an amount; you can scoop as much or as little ricotta as you want)
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and return to pot, reserving 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. (do this first, otherwise you will finish your tomatoes and have no pasta cooking water)
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, 3 turns of the pan, and the garlic over medium-high heat, swirling the garlic in the oil for 2 minutes. Discard the garlic. (I have no idea what 3 turns of the pan means. I just sauteed some garlic and then chucked it)
3. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes, then add the dill and reserved pasta cooking water.
4. Add the tomato mixture and argula to the pasta. Season with more salt and pepper.
5. Serve the pasta in large, shallow bowls and dollop with the ricotta for mixing in while you eat.
It’s fairly tasty, but that may be due to my loving ricotta and just covering the whole thing in whiteness. It is missing something though. I’m really not much of a cook, so I’m not good at improvising, or determining what that something could possibly be. So I don’t know what to try to make this just a little bit better. I’ll have to think about that. Or just give up entirely and try something else. Any suggestions?